Monday, June 7, 2021

Welcome to My Blog

 This post was adapted from my 2011 Site. I have updated to 2021. Enjoy.

About me:

Professionally, I have been involved in working with Internet-based technologies since I started my first job in the profession as a Computer Systems Administrator back in 1984. So, I have been involved in the evolution what people think of as The Internet today from the ARPANET and its siblings (e.g. CSNET, BITNET, etc.) into the NSFNET and then into the commercial Internet we have today. I have worked as a consultant as well as a regular employee in a large multinational companies (NTT,Alphabet[Google and Google Fiber]), smaller domestic companies (The Planet, Verio) and non-profits (Baylor College of Medicine, Rice University).

I have worked on migrations and consolidation of POPs, establishing interconnect facilities for telcos in data centers, integration of mail systems, DNS and USENET news, deployment of different authentication architectures (RADIUS, TACACS, LDAP and Active Directory along with token-based systems), PCI DSS compliance, establishing SAS 70 controls (Type I) and testing of operational effectiveness (Type II) and more traditional IT-oriented activities (helpdesk operations, change management, nightly batch job management, etc.). I have done resource planning for both networks and data centers. I have also become an advocate for the use of IPv6 in the Internet (see www.txv6tf.org for more). I have it deployed on my home network and use IPv6 every day.

Thanks for visiting and come back often!

Some Recent Frustrations with Apple iPhone 15

 I just recently upgraded to the iPhone 15 (not the Pro) and had some frustration with the process. The first was the so-called " Quick...